U-Boat War Badge
The U-boat War Badge was originally instituted during the First World War on February 1st 1918. It was awarded to recognize U-boat crews who had completed three war patrols. The badge was worn on the lower left side of the uniform and was oval shaped resembling a wreath of laurel leaves. A submarine lay across the center and the Prussian crown was inlaid at the top center of the wreath.
On October 13 1939, the U-boat War Badge was reinsituted again, shortly after the war began. It was very similar to the original badge with the exception of the Prussian crown which was replaced with a German eagle, and a more modernized submarine which was now facing towards the left.
There were several ways to be awarded this medal. The most common would be the completion of two war patrols. Although the completion of two war patrols might seem a lowly requirement, but a typical U-boat war cruise would often run into months at a time. As a contrast, the Army War Badge was awarded after three combat actions, which meant that they could be earned on three separate actions all under a week. Completing two war patrols was not only longer, but it was equally dangerous as the boat has to endure constant attacks by allied aircraft and warships. During the later part of the war, U-boat losses were so great that many crewmen never made it past the second war patrol. The other occasion when this badge was awarded was on completion of an especially successful first patrol or having been wounded or killed in action. In the event of death, the award was presented to the next of kin.
U-boat Badge with Diamonds
Battle of The Atlantic
Medals & Awards
Photo Gallery Video Library Articles U-Boat Types Midget Submarines U-Boat Weapons U-Boat Equipment
Bridge Conversion U-Boat Crew U-Boat Insignia U-Boat Marches U-Boat Sounds U-Boat Scale Models
Links Directory Contact Us Our Awards Guestbook
|Copyright 2005-2012 © Uboataces. All rights reserved.|